Before I knew..... When I was pregnant..... A dear friend sent me a card stating, "Life is different with a baby- it's so much better." I knew in my heart this was true..... Yet at the time, I didn't know about my Colby's diagnosis.
When Colby was born, life changed. Fear, sadness, worry, anger- all rushed through me surrounded by an unbelievable LOVE. The type of Love that people write poems about, the kind that can move mountains- soul consuming, heart-aching, and empowering. During those first few hours, days, weeks, it was difficult, to say the least, BUT I look back on myself, and I just want to hug that new momma and say...... "All your fears are yours-not his. Things will be so much better than you think!"
So.........here is my advice to the 2013 Jackie and to any new momma who has trying times:
1. Take a Breath. Take a minute. If that is too much- take a second. It will be ok. Actually, it will be much much better than ok because it is not as bad as you think.
2. Don't over think. Stop judging, comparing, guessing, and just look at what your baby needs right now. Not tomorrow. Not 10 years from now but RIGHT NOW. Celebrate in any success and make needed decisions because there is so much joy in those little moments.
3. Allow yourself to feel. It's new, maybe not what you expected. It is OK to feel. Give yourself permission to cry, be angry, fall apart...... then move on..... make a plan for today (only today).
4. Embrace the LOVE. Hold your child, in my case, I couldn't so I held his hand- allow that soul consuming love to bring you strength.
5. Repeat! There is no greater gift than a child! Repeat at every step and embrace the success. Life is so much better than you think!